Monday, July 2, 2012

"The image world"

      The first quote that I found interesting on Sontag’s “The image world” is “Photography does not simply reproduce the real, it recycles it - a key procedure of a modem society.” (p.174). This quote makes me think of the true meaning of photographs. When you take a picture of something or somebody, you capture a moment that you consider meaningful to you. You are reproducing reality. Our memory is fragile, and we are unable to remember every moment, detail, or emotions that happened in a particular moment. Pictures are helpful instruments for memory. There are so many interesting and beautiful things that we experience, and photography can help us remember them, even if many years have passed from the moment when the picture was taken. When you see a picture you immediately remember what you were doing when the picture was taken, who and where were you with, and many details that probably you didn’t even remember. Smells, feelings, and sensations come to life again. Basically you just recycled the reality of the moment when the picture was taken.



      The second quote I found interesting in the text is “there is beauty or at least interest in everything, seen with an acute enough eye.” (p. 176).  Everyone has a different perception of reality and beauty. What for me is beautiful and interesting, for other person may be considered meaningless. The good thing about photography is that you can take pictures in perspective making small things look bigger, colors can look brighter than they really are, you can make look places farter away, and play with the spectator’s perception of reality. Behind everything that is around us, there is somebody who created it, and the time they spent doing their inventions must be respected. My experiences are what determine what I like and what I dislike, and through photography I can show other people my point of view of what I consider beautiful and interesting.

This is a picture I took 2 weeks ago from my trip to Las Vegas. Local time 5pm :)


No comments:

Post a Comment